- in Detox Recipes , Diet , Recipe by Michael Meuth L.Ac., ACN
Tropical Quinoa Breakfast Porridge
This porridge is an excellent source of protein (Quinoa is actually a complete protein). It’s very high in fiber, has a lot of antioxidants, and is also a good source of many of the minerals people are regularly depleted in such as Magnesium, Potassium, & Zinc…it’s also high in Iron. It’s best if you soak quinoa overnight so that you dissolve the Phytic acid that coats the seed and blocks the absorption of nutrients.
Makes: 2 servings
- ½ c. quinoa – any color but tri-colored is the most visually and texturally beautiful
- ½ c. water
- 1 c. unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- dash of sea salt
- 2 tbsp organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tsp real vanilla extract
- ¼ c. organic unsweetened shredded coconut
- ¼ c. crushed or sliced almonds
- 2-4 mashed/pureed dates (optional)
- 1 organic banana sliced
- ¼-½ cup organic blueberries (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- ¼-½ c. mango chopped into small chunks (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- goji berries (optional)
Rinse and strain the quinoa with cool water, rubbing the grains between your fingers, until the water runs clear. Add it to a small pot with the water, milk, date puree/mash, and sea salt. Bring to a boil and then turn it down to simmer. Stirring occasionally, simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Meanwhile, toast the shredded coconut in a skillet on low heat until lightly browned. Remove the coconut from the skillet, and toast the almonds in the same manner. Don’t let them burn!
Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the coconut oil and vanilla. Spoon the porridge into bowls and top with toasted coconut, banana slices, blueberries, mango, and toasted almonds. (You might try tossing in a few goji berries if you want it sweeter.)